7/17/2010

Diaries, Journals, and Logs, Oh My!

     Do you keep a diary, journal, or log? If you do, you probably know of some of the benefits writing in it has. If you don't, I'll give you a few reasons why you should consider it.
     I know that making yourself sit down to write in a diary (especially for the first time) can be difficult, but it's so worth it. Actually, yesterday I started writing in the diary that I've had since I was eight (as I've said before, I have a procrastination problem). As a result it's pink with hearts all over it, but it still works. Anyway, writing in it felt great! It's a good way to vent, or talk about anything, really. My brain is no longer over-flowing with thoughts, since I now have somewhere to store them. The best part is you don't have to be afraid of what anyone else will think because it's private.

     Writing in a journal daily can make you a better writer, more organized, less stressed, more honest, more disciplined, and, of course, give you a place to store memories. You become more organized by organizing your thoughts, more honest because you don't lie to your diary (or at least, I hope you don't) and more disciplined if you make yourself write every day. For me, the memory apsect is the best part. I'm a pretty nostalgic person, constantly thinking about how fast time passes, so memories are really important to me.
     If you aren't currently keeping one, try to find inspiration. My inspiration was my old diary from first grade (and the need for venting). I found the journal in box and started reading, and I was enjoying it, but about half way through the writing ended. I couldn't really remember what happened next, and I realized I wouldn't be able to remember the things happening now in a while either. And neither will you.
     Here's something else I discovered while researching this topic: dream logs. Basically, you keep a journal next to your bed and as soon as you wake up you write about your dream, before you forget it. I've never tried it, but it sounds useful if you've had a particularly interesting dream.
     So, are you convinced, or is writing in a journal just not your thing? I'd advise that you at least try it. Tell me what you think, and if you know any other pros or cons of writing in a journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails