8/28/2010

What's Society's Problem?

(credit)
Well, to be blunt, we are. Okay, maybe not you. And maybe not me either. But "we" in general are the cause for society's issues, because, you know, we're part of society. Since society is made up of such a large and varying group of people (a.k.a. everyone) it has a personality that's ever-changing. Sometimes society is nice to us. Sometimes society let's us go with the crowd and feel like we fit in for once.
This seems to be quite uncommon, though. Let's face it; society's good moods are not the norm (for most of us) and can be pretty fickle. Maybe you've noticed that society is more often a huge bully-- it's discriminating, mean, excluding, hurtful, and bossy. Or, maybe you're one of those people looking at your computer screen wondering what in the world I'm talking about. In that case, society likes you (though more than likely you're it's frenemy) and you mostly fit in. Good for you.
Actually, it's not really good for you. See, if you're perfectly fine with society because you fit in, then there are more than likely a ton of people who dislike you for liking the way society is.

But wait, there's another option. Maybe you're more like me and you don't exactly fit in or not fit in. If you're even more like me, than you're perfectly fine with all the people society hates (except for the people who do things that are illegal, hateful, etc. of course) and you don't really mind those people who try to fit in, either. We're all just people, after all. So, if your in the middle... well, that's exactly your problem. You're stuck in the middle.

So really, you just can't win. Sure some places in society have their pros, but they also have cons. All the places in society pretty much do.

Society is sort of telling us what we can and can't do. As an example: society tells me I shouldn't be good at math or science (as if gender has anything to do with thought), that if I make good grades I'm a "nerd" , that if I like to play instruments I'm a "band geek", and that if I think differently I'm "weird", etc. Then again, that's nothing compared to what other people are told: their religion is wrong, their sexuality is wrong, their race is wrong, or their choices are just wrong. And let's not forget what society tells basically everyone. No matter what, you're just not good enough. But that's not really true, is it?

Okay, I'll stop personifying society now. Do you get the point? And despite what you might be thinking, I'm not telling you that our society is hopeless. As I said, we're society's problem in the first place. Look at the society that we (and others before us) have created. If we don't like it, why do we go along with it? Seriously, people are constantly doing things like this. I guess it's just easier to go along with something than to try to change it. Pretty sad.

Anyway, if you aren't so happy with the way society is, stop pretending you are. I'm sure some of you will disagree with this post, but before you do ask yourself if society is really as great as you think. And, of course, I can't be completely negative here; society has a ton of problems, but it surely isn't as bad as it could be, and it's certainly come a long way. There is, however, some definite room for improvement. But the best part is, since we're all part of society, we can all help change society (no matter how insignificant you feel). There will probably be more posts related to this one later-- there's too much to talk about to fit in just one post. Please post your thoughts on the subject, whether you agree or disagree!

Also, an off topic note: I'd like to apologize for my lack of posts. (It's been more than a week!) I've been extremely busy with school work and such this week. (As in, I've-been-staying-up-past-2-am-to-do-homework busy.) I hope you understand, and I'll try to post a little more often. I was really starting to miss my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails