8/08/2010

How To Be Nicer: Tip #2

(credit)
I bet you've just been anxiously waiting for this. Well, maybe not. Anyway, here's your tip:

Tip #2: Be open-minded.
Don't you just hate it when you tell someone something and this person wrinkles his/her face, seemingly disgusted, because he/she just doesn't understand. Or, worse, someone finds out something about you and completely rejects you as a person because he/she is so ridiculously close-minded.

"Oh, you're one of those people. I guess we can't be friends anymore. And we'll have to argue over what's right/wrong, even though I know I'm right."


Please don't take that example too seriously. Also, I don't recall something like this happening to me personally, but it annoys me just seeing others get treated like this. Although, I probably wouldn't exactly want to be friends with someone who couldn't manage to be a bit open-minded. I've seen this happen to people close to me, though. Or just a classmate being talked behind his/her back. It's definitely not nice.

I suppose this goes back to the issue with being different. I'd imagine that many of these issues with being close-minded have to do with politics, religion, sexuality, beliefs, culture, appearances, etc. (Please let me know if I missed a major issue.) I also feel the need to point out that this post is not about being open-minded about things that are illegal, hateful, or even unhealthy.

You don't have to be best friends with someone who's just so different you can't understand, but just be nice to him/her. It'll make a huge difference them if you're just a little more understanding. I see no point in arguing with someone because you're close minded; it's extremely unlikely that you're going to change him/her.

By the way, I realize that these How To Be Nicer tips are kind of corny, but they're also true.

As always, you're thoughts and opinions are welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails